classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Windows Ink or Wacom Stylus Support

Andre
Hello Folks,

It seems that MouseEvent.PointerType.Pen is currently only available for Android. Are there any plans to integrate support for Windows Ink or Wacom stylus features, such as pressure sensitivity, tilt, rotation, and the use of three buttons, into NEWT?

I haven’t checked the Wacom API yet, but I know it exists. I'll experiment with it soon.

I’ve found several generic APIs for Java, like lectureStudio/stylus and JPen, but none of them have worked so far.

Cheers,
Andre
I am a Robot
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Windows Ink or Wacom Stylus Support

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

In my humble opinion, use Windows Touch Gestures API rather than Wacom API so that it just works with other manufacturers too. Feel free to contribute, this isn't a trivial task.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
Thanks, this is going to be a horror show. I’ll contribute if I succeed.
I am a Robot
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
I advise you to try to use the API with something easy to use  at a first step, JNA or java.lang.foreign. Then, look at the way events are managed in NEWT under Windows and replicate the logic of your blueprint in NEWT this time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
Thanks! I really envy your knowledge. The thought of needing to learn JNA and C#/C++ gives me chills. Brrrr…
I am a Robot
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
That's why I suggest to use java.lang.foreign but I admit that it's still not trivial, it helps not to have to write in C/C++.