gluegen Build Failure In v2.3.1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gluegen Build Failure In v2.3.1

rhatcher
I attempted to build gluegen in v2.3.1 this morning and encountered a build failure.  First, versions of relevant stuff:

CentOS 6.5
JDK 8u45
ant 1.9.3
git 1.7.1

The git clone instructions say to do this:

git clone --recurse-submodules git://jogamp.org/srv/scm/gluegen.git gluegen

...but that didn't work so I did this instead, which could be part of the problem:

git clone --recursive git://jogamp.org/srv/scm/gluegen.git gluegen

I then checked out v2.3.1, cd'd into the .../gluegen/make subdir and invoked ant.  It churned for a short while then produced this error while executing the generate.java target:

generate.java:
    [antlr] ANTLR Parser Generator   Version 2.7.7 (2006-11-01)   1989-2005
    [javac] Compiling 102 source files to /usr/local/ZedaSoft/rhatcher/prj-main/ZedaSoft/Java/ThirdParty/jogamp_2.3.1/gluegen/build/classes
    [javac] Since fork is false, ignoring memoryMaximumSize setting.
    [javac] Note: /usr/local/ZedaSoft/rhatcher/prj-main/ZedaSoft/Java/ThirdParty/jogamp_2.3.1/gluegen/src/java/com/jogamp/common/util/JogampVersion.java uses or overrides a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
    [javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
     [copy] Copying 1 file to /usr/local/ZedaSoft/rhatcher/prj-main/ZedaSoft/Java/ThirdParty/jogamp_2.3.1/gluegen/build/classes
    [javac] Compiling 115 source files to /usr/local/ZedaSoft/rhatcher/prj-main/ZedaSoft/Java/ThirdParty/jogamp_2.3.1/gluegen/build/classes
    [javac] /usr/local/ZedaSoft/rhatcher/prj-main/ZedaSoft/Java/ThirdParty/jogamp_2.3.1/gluegen/jcpp/src/main/java/com/jogamp/gluegen/jcpp/JCPP.java:112: error: incompatible types: String cannot be converted to long
    [javac]                         final ConstantDefinition c = new ConstantDefinition(macro.getName(), value, null, locus);
    [javac]                                                                                              ^

If I back up to v2.3.0 then it builds OK.

What have I messed up?

Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: gluegen Build Failure In v2.3.1

Xerxes Rånby
It is important that
gluegen/jcpp
and
gluegen
are in sync and using compatible versions.

The documentation is correct, a fresh checkout of the gluegen git with --recurse-submodules do work

xranby@Xerxes-ESPRIMO:~/test$ git clone --recurse-submodules git://jogamp.org/srv/scm/gluegen.git gluegen
Klonar till "gluegen"...
remote: Counting objects: 15931, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (7922/7922), done.
remote: Total 15931 (delta 8706), reused 11456 (delta 5875)
Tar emot objekt: 100% (15931/15931), 85.62 MiB | 1.15 MiB/s, done.
Analyserar delta: 100% (8706/8706), done.
Kontrollerar anslutning... klart.
Checking out files: 100% (571/571), done.
Undermodulen "jcpp" (git://jogamp.org/srv/scm/jcpp) registrerad för sökvägen "jcpp"
Klonar till "jcpp"...
remote: Counting objects: 1578, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (522/522), done.
remote: Total 1578 (delta 716), reused 1408 (delta 639)
Tar emot objekt: 100% (1578/1578), 11.94 MiB | 1.12 MiB/s, done.
Analyserar delta: 100% (716/716), done.
Kontrollerar anslutning... klart.
Undermodulsökvägen "jcpp": checkade ut "eddcad41a1dc2658747235b307bfd4ffd2c27bd3"
xranby@Xerxes-ESPRIMO:~/test$ cd gluegen/make/
xranby@Xerxes-ESPRIMO:~/test/gluegen/make$ ant
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 31 seconds

if you instead want to build v2.3.1 then you have to revert both the gluegen and jcpp git to the v2.3.1 version like this
cd gluegen
git checkout v2.3.1
cd jcpp
git checkout v2.3.1
cd ../make
ant
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 18 seconds

there may be better ways to update both the current git and the git submodules to one specific version but that is outside my git knowledge.

when you want to update both gluegen and the jcpp  to the latest git master developement version without having to perform a new clean checkout  then do
cd gluegen
git pull origin master ; git submodule foreach git pull origin master
cd make
ant
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 18 seconds

I hope this helps.
Cheers
Xerxes

Den 2015-07-02 17:54, rhatcher [via jogamp] skrev:
I attempted to build gluegen in v2.3.1 this morning and encountered a build failure.  First, versions of relevant stuff:

CentOS 6.5
JDK 8u45
ant 1.9.3
git 1.7.1

The git clone instructions say to do this:

...but that didn't work so I did this instead, which could be part of the problem:

git clone --recursive git://jogamp.org/srv/scm/gluegen.git gluegen

I then checked out v2.3.1, cd'd into the .../gluegen/make subdir and invoked ant.  It churned for a short while then produced this error while executing the generate.java target:

generate.java:
    [antlr] ANTLR Parser Generator   Version 2.7.7 (2006-11-01)   1989-2005
    [javac] Compiling 102 source files to /usr/local/ZedaSoft/rhatcher/prj-main/ZedaSoft/Java/ThirdParty/jogamp_2.3.1/gluegen/build/classes
    [javac] Note: /usr/local/ZedaSoft/rhatcher/prj-main/ZedaSoft/Java/ThirdParty/jogamp_2.3.1/gluegen/src/java/com/jogamp/common/util/JogampVersion.java uses or overrides a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
    [javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
     [copy] Copying 1 file to /usr/local/ZedaSoft/rhatcher/prj-main/ZedaSoft/Java/ThirdParty/jogamp_2.3.1/gluegen/build/classes
    [javac] Compiling 115 source files to /usr/local/ZedaSoft/rhatcher/prj-main/ZedaSoft/Java/ThirdParty/jogamp_2.3.1/gluegen/build/classes
    [javac] /usr/local/ZedaSoft/rhatcher/prj-main/ZedaSoft/Java/ThirdParty/jogamp_2.3.1/gluegen/jcpp/src/main/java/com/jogamp/gluegen/jcpp/JCPP.java:112: error: incompatible types: String cannot be converted to long
    [javac]                         final ConstantDefinition c = new ConstantDefinition(macro.getName(), value, null, locus);
    [javac]                                                                                              ^

If I back up to v2.3.0 then it builds OK.

What have I messed up?

Rob

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.jogamp.org/gluegen-Build-Failure-In-v2-3-1-tp4034801.html
To start a new topic under gluegen, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jogamp, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

rhatcher
Hi Xerxes,

All good info.  I can do all kinds of stuff with Perforce, but am still a git noob :-/.

When I issue this command on my CentOS 6.5 box:

...it says:

error: unknown option `recurse-submodules'
usage: git clone [options] [--] <repo> [<dir>]
<snip>

git says its version is 1.7.1.

Anyway, that's why I said it didn't work.  Maybe I am doing something wrong (?).

I will look over your other information and see if I can get it to build.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

rhatcher
It turns out that the old stinky git 1.7.1 version I had on CentOS 6.5 is what was causing the clone failure.  yum was no help getting an update, so I built 2.4.5 from source and at least the clone command is working now.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You should switch to CentOS 7 to get more recent versions of softwares.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

rhatcher
In reply to this post by rhatcher
The build is succeeding now after updating git and applying Xerxes' tag checkout guidance.

Thanks for the help Xerxes.
Reply | Threaded
|

rhatcher
In reply to this post by gouessej
Definitely.

We're heading in that direction and probably will switch soon.  We are always a little bit behind the curve because we like to move the entire dev group forward simultaneously, and it's hard to find a time that's good for everybody.  Plus there are considerations related to supporting fielded systems still running older OS versions, e.g. we have to be ready with virtual machines set up and so on.  It's a mess to keep up with all the moving targets.  We generally roll the dev machines when the sys admin decides to roll our server, so we can blame him for being behind :-).

My CentOS 6.5 desktop system is new hotness compared to my laptop, which is still running Fedora 12.  The final insult is that the laptop is also 32-bit :-/.