– Re: Gluegen apk won't install on Android 6 (Marshmallow)
In Reply To
I'm a professional Android developer whose day job mainly involves boring point-of-sale stuff. I decided to learn about OGL and read a few books and tutorials about how it's done with the android.opengl.* APIs. I quickly realized that Google made a big mistake by not using interfaces for their GLES2+ APIs. They included the Khronos GLES1 interfaces in the standard Android API, but starting with GLES2, everything is done with static methods. I found JOGL when I went looking for a library that uses interfaces.
- What are the JOGL equivalents of GLSurfaceView and GLSurfaceView.Renderer? (GLSurfaceView is the Android-managed view that holds the GL surface; Renderer is the callback that is called when the GL context is created and when each frame is rendered, among other things.)
- Can a JOGL surface be declared in layout XML?
- Is it possible to use JOGL without extending a particular Activity? (Early versions of some Google APIs used required extending activities, like MapActivity and PreferenceActivity, but this proved to be a very restrictive anti-pattern, and newer versions have moved away from it.)
- What does a minimal JOGL "Hello, world!" look like? I mean something like an empty black screen rendered with OGL.
- Why are there multiple native jars for each architecture? What's in them, and are all of them always required?
- Why do some tutorials suggest that JOGL apps require other APKs to be installed alongside them? Can this be avoided?
- Why does gluegen parse C headers instead of the Registry XML from which the C headers are derived? Was the XML not available when gluegen was originally created? Would gluegen benefit in any way from being converted to use the XML?
- I noticed from reading the code that JOGL relies on global state. Global state is especially evil on Android because of the way the framework manages activities and other components. I also noticed some comments hinting at problems caused by this. Could this be avoided without breaking compatibility with other platforms that JOGL supports?
Hey, it's Kevin from SO. I use IDEA almost exclusively. I have a bunch of questions, but I thought it would be good to start with a little background about how I became interested in JOGL.