Fail to run with openjdk-11 and openjdk-12

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fail to run with openjdk-11 and openjdk-12

jonas.vautherin
I am trying to build and run a project depending on java3d. It is all fine with java 8, but when building and running with openjdk-11 or openjdk-12, I get the following error:

```
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-lookup.c: 111: check_match: Assertion `version->filename == NULL || ! _dl_name_match_p (version->filename, map)' failed!
```

I am building java3d myself and including the dependencies as gradle "includeBuild" projects (java3d-utils, java3d-core, vecmath). The others 4 dependencies come from maven directly. It looks like so:

```
dependencies {
    implementation 'com.intellij:forms_rt:7.0.3'
    implementation 'com.sun.j3d:java3d-utils:1.6.2'
    implementation 'javax.media.j3d:java3d-core:1.6.2'
    implementation 'javax.vecmath:vecmath:1.6.2'
    implementation 'org.jogamp.gluegen:gluegen-rt-main:2.3.2'
    implementation 'org.jogamp.jogl:jogl-all-main:2.3.2'
    implementation 'org.scream3r:jssc:2.8.0'
}
```

Is it supposed to work with java 11 and 12? Is it a known issue, or something wrong on my system?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fail to run with openjdk-11 and openjdk-12

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

However, I don't know exactly from where your error comes, dl-lookup contains internal functions of the glibc C runtime library. I remind you that Java3D >= 1.6 has no native pipeline (I removed the native OpenGL pipeline several years ago, Java3D has used only the JOGL pipeline from this moment) and I don't see how it could come from any JogAmp API.

If I were you, I would check whether the problem comes from JSSC. I can build Java projects under Mageia Linux 7 using JogAmp APIs (JOAL, JOGL, GlueGen, ...) with both Maven and Gradle without such problems. I use both the build-in OpenJDK 8 JDK and AdoptOpenJDK 11.

Reminder: The latest version of Java3D is Java3D 1.7.0 and it doesn't use the same package names.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

jonas.vautherin
To be sure I understand: you mean that my java3d dependencies (1.6.2 and gluegen and jogl) are pure Java, and therefore this ld.so call comes from something else?

I had compiled a 1.7.0 version of Java3D, but I am having a hard time finding the dependencies on maven repositories, and also knowing which repos are official or not (because it seems like they generally live in personal forks).
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Java3D is pure Java, JogAmp APIs aren't. If you really suspect a problem with JOGL or GlueGen, try to build something with them with Gradle without Java3D. I see JSSC in your dependencies and I'm 100% sure that it's not pure Java.

Please ask Phil to upload Java3D 1.7 on Maven Central.
Reply | Threaded
|

sailsman63
In reply to this post by jonas.vautherin
This is not limited to java3d.

I've seen it with JOGL/Gluegen, and some others have had this error when running LWJGL!

Certain newer builds of Java 11 & 12 seem to be the culprit. On Arch, they hit around Jul/24/2019 (OpenJDK packages), on Ubuntu, Apr/19/2019

The closest that I can come to an explanation is https://github.com/eclipse/openj9/issues/3607, but that would imply that some JDK builds have a built-in glibc? The current Java 8 Build from Arch does not have this issue.

Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Do you reproduce this problem with some builds provided by AdoptOpenJDK? I use OpenJDK 8 (provided by the distro) and OpenJDK 11 (provided by AdoptOpenJDK) under Mageia Linux and I don't have this problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

sailsman63
I was _not_ able to reproduce this issue on the jdk-11-adoptopenjdk package available through the AUR (basically, unsupported user-supplied packages)

For clarity, the distribution's standard java-8 package also functions correctly.

I'd love to understand the difference between these builds, but I have no idea of where to begin.