Firefox 5 is breaking JOGL

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Firefox 5 is breaking JOGL

kitfox
I'm dealing with a really weird bug that only appears when I have Firefox 5 running in the background.  I don't know if it's a driver issue or what.  It also only appears sometimes, but the longer Firefox has been running, the more likely it seems to appear.

One thing this bug does is make drawing to a pbuffer really slow.  (I wrote the below program to demonstrate this bug)  When FF is running and the test program is NOT using FBOs, it will sometimes run at 2 fps.  It will also sometimes run at full speed.  I think the longer FF has been running, the more likely it is to run at 2 fps:

http://kitfox.com/tmp/FBOTest.zip

When the above program is configured to use FBOs (just tweak the boolean flag), it will always run at a speedy pace.  That is, if it runs at all.  Because for some reason FF is also sometimes causing a GL_FRAMEBUFFER_UNSUPPORTED to be thrown when I create my FBOs, even though they can be created and used without a problem on other runs.  Again, the longer FF has been running, the more likely this error is to occur.

I've been discussing this over on java-gaming.org:

http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php/topic,24437.0.html
http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php/topic,24429.0.html

I'm using a Quadro FX 570/PCI/SSE2 graphics card with the latest drivers and JSR 231.  If you have any idea what's going on, please let me know.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Firefox 5 is breaking JOGL

Wade Walker
Administrator
I tried your sample program both ways (FBOs on and off) with both FF 3.6.16 and FF 5 in the background, and it works fine all four ways (it shows a grid of rapidly-changing numbers).

I'm on 64-bit Windows 7, Java 1.6.0_21b07, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX (driver version 8.17.11.9745 from 4/3/2010), and a JOGL 2 version built from code I checked out just a few minutes ago.

Maybe try different versions of FF? Or maybe you have an odd FF plugin?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by kitfox
Hi!

@kitfox, as far as I know, your graphics card is an entry-level professional graphics card built by NVIDIA, have you checked if the root cause is a driver bug? I will give it a try with a more recent Quadro FX on Linux if necessary. Maybe Wade is right, let us know which extensions you use or disable them all and perform your test once more.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

kitfox
I have no idea if it is a driver bug, but I have read a post on opengl.org that suggested that NVidia can cause strange GL_FRAMEBUFFER_UNSUPPORTED errors if it the context is not created correctly.

Anyhow, I've reconfigured Firefox 5 to do a lot less than it was doing and closed a lot of tabs.  So far, the problem seems to have gone away.  Perhaps it's really a Flash issue, or some webpage doing something weird.  It's hard to say.

Anyhow, thanks for all your help.  This is one of those bugs that's really hard to pin down.