OpenGL 3.x > ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OpenGL 3.x > ?

Claudio
Well, I see that JOGL is currently at version 2.

I found it a little bit comfusing to find the current distribution... but finally I found the autobuilds link.

Well, I am studying OpenGL deeply by using the OpenGL Superbible Fifth Edition, which is a rich material, but works over OpenGL 3 > and does not approaches the deprecated capabilities of OpenGL, what I find usefull, since what's deprecated tends not to be used in future.

For the important part of this message:
Well, in a short question: Does JOGL 2 supports OpenGL 3 > specs / releases?

Because in a short trial I was not able to fing something as GLBatch nor GLShaderManager.

I am a braziliam computer scientist with degree in computer science and a certified Java programmer (for Java 5), working at IT area for about seven years now, and I am hardly willing to change my area of work for games development. Well, since I worked with Java for the most part of my carreer I think it may be quite powerfull to mix the portability of Java with the power of OpenGL, but in order for seriously considering it I wonder it is important to keep at the state-of-the-art version of OpenGL.

Any comments appreciated, thanks.

Claudio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OpenGL 3.x > ?

gouessej
Administrator
Hi!

What's wrong? JOGL 2.0 beta already supports OpenGL 4.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

snmvaughan
In reply to this post by Claudio
The files/classes you are referencing were created by the author to simplify the early chapters of the book. I've been working with the existing JOGL classes to work through the book.
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 02:27 AM
To: Vaughan, Steve
Subject: OpenGL 3.x > ?

Well, I see that JOGL is currently at version 2.

I found it a little bit comfusing to find the current distribution... but finally I found the autobuilds link.

Well, I am studying OpenGL deeply by using the OpenGL Superbible Fifth Edition, which is a rich material, but works over OpenGL 3 > and does not approaches the deprecated capabilities of OpenGL, what I find usefull, since what's deprecated tends not to be used in future.

For the important part of this message:
Well, in a short question: Does JOGL 2 supports OpenGL 3 > specs / releases?

Because in a short trial I was not able to fing something as GLBatch nor GLShaderManager.

I am a braziliam computer scientist with degree in computer science and a certified Java programmer (for Java 5), working at IT area for about seven years now, and I am hardly willing to change my area of work for games development. Well, since I worked with Java for the most part of my carreer I think it may be quite powerfull to mix the portability of Java with the power of OpenGL, but in order for seriously considering it I wonder it is important to keep at the state-of-the-art version of OpenGL.

Any comments appreciated, thanks.

Claudio

View message @ http://jogamp.762907.n3.nabble.com/OpenGL-3-x-tp1861265p1861265.html
To start a new topic under jogl, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jogl, click here.

Reply | Threaded
|

Claudio
hmm....

Actually he uses freeglut and GLTools libs...

But I'll keep trying...

Because as far as I understood this book approaches using OpenGL only through shaders...

Is there not a GLBatch nor a GLShaderManager in OpenGL?

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Claudio wrote
hmm....

Actually he uses freeglut and GLTools libs...
You don't need freeglut when using OpenGL in Java especially for the windowing.

Claudio wrote
But I'll keep trying...

Because as far as I understood this book approaches using OpenGL only through shaders...

Is there not a GLBatch nor a GLShaderManager in OpenGL?

Thanks!
You can find the source code and port it to JOGL 2, can't you?
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Demoscene Passivist
Administrator
In reply to this post by Claudio
>Is there not a GLBatch nor a GLShaderManager in OpenGL?

Not that I know of ...

... but as far as shader handling/setup goes I would definitly recommend doing it by hand as u need a deeper understanding of the setup process when u wanna get serious with GLSL. U may consider using com.jogamp.opengl.util.glsl classes to do the setup or do it urself as I have done in my ShaderUtils.

For mesh loading setup I would recommend using one of the freely available mesh loader classes (e.g. from jglmark).
Reply | Threaded
|

Claudio
I understand...

Anyway, about porting to OpenGL 2, I am precisely using a book to start learning over OpenGL 3, so it would be undoing my steps porting back... (and the author does not reccomends learning OpenGL 2 and porting to OpenGL 3, he reccomends learning already at the newer version. Why to learn the older version when it will quickly become unusefull?)

And about freeglut and other libraries... Of course I want to go deeper into OpenGL, but it is a nightmare when I know little about it and have to learn BOTH OpenGL from scratch and how to integrate it with Java by using JOGL and libraries different from my material...

I think I'll have to learn OpenGL by using the native recommended libraries and environments first (Visual C++ Express 2008, yah, I know...), then I think I'll have enought knowledgement for using JOGL the way I want to... knowing which choices I am making and why... (instead of CTRL+C, CTRL+Ving code whithout knowing clearly what I am doing).

It is a hell of a mess trying and learning both together... specially when it comes to mix different versions of OpenGL and JOGL...

By the way, this is the book I am studying:

http://www.amazon.com/OpenGL-SuperBible-Comprehensive-Tutorial-Reference/dp/0321712617/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289324061&sr=1-1

More comments still appreciated, so far thank you very much!