classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Was jogl-cg removed from 2.4.0 ?

othan
Hello,

First of all, congratulation on the recent release of the 2.4.0 version!

I noticed that jogl-cg was not present on the 2.4.0 release, whereas it was available in v2.4.0-rc-20210111. Is this intended? I have not noticed any disclaimer of depreciation for this library. The native libjogl_cg was also removed.

There have been no issue so far to make the existing code run with 2.4.0 version combined with v2.4.0-rc-20210111 version for jogl-cg, but I noticed that this specific RC was removed from the jogamp repositories (while it is still available from other repositories).

Kind regards,

Othan
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Was jogl-cg removed from 2.4.0 ?

Martin
Hi,

I actually have never seen this library in JOGL distribution. Is this related to NVidia CG toolkit? What did you use it for? Maybe there is exists way to achieve the same result without CG.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Cg is no longer in active development, it's not supported on some recent graphics cards, even Nvidia advises to abandon it. GLSL and WebGPU Shading Language are more viable alternatives.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
Yeah, a lot of std stuff available these days GLSL, Compute-Shader, OpenCL, ...

Not sure when I disabled Cg .. was probably after the named pre-release, I guess one of my 'house cleaning' jobs :)
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by gouessej
https://developer.nvidia.com/cg-toolkit
The Cg Toolkit is a legacy NVIDIA toolkit no longer under active development or support
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

othan
In reply to this post by Martin
Hi Martin,

I was using it for the shaders of my game. Since it seems to be more than obsolete, I will try to migrate to newer ways to achieve my goals.

Thanks to you three for the answers!