95 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A new binary build available soon

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

At first, ArdorCraftAPI and ArdorCraftAPITest will be moved into the main project as it makes no sense to me to leave them in separate projects.

Secondly, I'll move the issues into a single file.

After that, I'll update the user's guide, I'll remove all references to Github.

Finally, I'll remove the projects from Github. Please refrain yourself from hosting mirrors of this project on Github.

The main changes on my roadmap for the versions 1.0 and 1.1.0 are these furthers:
- I won't support ES2 and ES3
- I'll switch to Java 11
- I'll add some support of OpenJFX/JavaFX using NewtCanvasJFX
- I'll improve the documentation, fix a few bugs and fix some design inconsistencies in the API for the version 1.0
- I'll implement a very few new features in the version 1.1.0

The main features planned for the version 2.0 are these furthers:
- The OpenGL / OpenGL-ES backend based on JOGL will be replaced by a backend based on Vulkan (>= 1.1, I'll pick a version of Vulkan converging with OpenCL)
- The current UI API will be replaced by another UI API allowing to render HTML + JavaScript + CSS through a subset of Firefox (Servo). I don't think that I'm able to implement and maintain a totally new UI API alone that would fit into the needs of most programmers and compete with existing ones. It seems more viable to me to allow them to stick to their guns
- GLTF import and export
- improvements of the math API in order to compete with JOML
- I'll choose another name for the engine as it makes no sense to keep the same name for something diverging a lot from the legacy engine

Best regards
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

ThomasR
Hi Julien,

gouessej wrote
Hello

At first, ArdorCraftAPI and ArdorCraftAPITest will be moved into the main project as it makes no sense to me to leave them in separate projects.

Secondly, I'll move the issues into a single file.

After that, I'll update the user's guide, I'll remove all references to Github.

Finally, I'll remove the projects from Github. Please refrain yourself from hosting mirrors of this project on Github.

The main changes on my roadmap for the versions 1.0 and 1.1.0 are these furthers:
- I won't support ES2 and ES3
- I'll switch to Java 11
- I'll add some support of OpenJFX/JavaFX using NewtCanvasJFX
- I'll improve the documentation, fix a few bugs and fix some design inconsistencies in the API for the version 1.0
- I'll implement a very few new features in the version 1.1.0
It's not clear where 1.0 and 1.1.0 reside now has your main page been updated? What is the motivation for JavaFX support, just curious, is it really a live project anymore? Can I vote for one of the bug fixes be related to the thread titled 'Indpependent Textures'? I can do some experimentation on my end, if you perhaps have some notions.

gouessej wrote
The main features planned for the version 2.0 are these furthers:
- The OpenGL / OpenGL-ES backend based on JOGL will be replaced by a backend based on Vulkan (>= 1.1, I'll pick a version of Vulkan converging with OpenCL)
- The current UI API will be replaced by another UI API allowing to render HTML + JavaScript + CSS through a subset of Firefox (Servo). I don't think that I'm able to implement and maintain a totally new UI API alone that would fit into the needs of most programmers and compete with existing ones. It seems more viable to me to allow them to stick to their guns
- GLTF import and export
- improvements of the math API in order to compete with JOML
- I'll choose another name for the engine as it makes no sense to keep the same name for something diverging a lot from the legacy engine

Best regards
Do you have a commercial interest in developing/supporting a Vulkan backend? That seems like a huge job just to do as a hobby, or out of the goodness of your heart!

Would version 2.0 be a complete rewrite of the API, or could applications currently using v1.x simply use 2.0 for the Vulkan backend? What does diverging mean exactly? It's really important especially as it's probably anyone's guess what the future of OpenGL on OS X is.

Would there be equivalent classes implementing com.ardor3d.framework.Canvas like VulkanAWTCanvas, VulkanSwingCanvas, etc? Or would AWT/Swing app be forced to rewrite their UI code. For us, that would might be impossible (prohibitive cost).

Is there an emerging Java+Vulkan community similar to what we have with Jogamp? Probably too early to talk timelines?

Tom

Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

ThomasR wrote
It's not clear where 1.0 and 1.1.0 reside now has your main page been updated?
The version 1.0 hasn't been released yet. There are numerous things to update in the user's guide.

ThomasR wrote
What is the motivation for JavaFX support, just curious, is it really a live project anymore?
It won't take a long time to implement as most of the job is done in JOGL itself. It gives another option for GUI integration in the engine. OpenJFX is a live project even though it's not the API that I would choose for my own projects right now.

ThomasR wrote
Can I vote for one of the bug fixes be related to the thread titled 'Indpependent Textures'? I can do some experimentation on my end, if you perhaps have some notions.
Feel free to investigate of course but as I can't even reproduce your bug, there is almost nothing I can do.

ThomasR wrote
Do you have a commercial interest in developing/supporting a Vulkan backend? That seems like a huge job just to do as a hobby, or out of the goodness of your heart!
This engine must work, I don't want to let my own project die. There is no commercial interest at all. Nobody pays, I do what I can on my spare time. You're right, it's not the kind of thing doable in a few weeks. I won't start implementing this backend without being confident about having enough time to make it work.

ThomasR wrote
Would version 2.0 be a complete rewrite of the API, or could applications currently using v1.x simply use 2.0 for the Vulkan backend?
It won't be a complete rewrite. Most APIs will simply go on working but the closer they are from some specific implementation details of the API used in the rendering backend, the more they will be subjected to some changes.

I'll preserve the public APIs when it's possible but some core classes might need a complete rewrite without modifying their public APIs.

ThomasR wrote
What does diverging mean exactly? It's really important especially as it's probably anyone's guess what the future of OpenGL on OS X is.
I won't make any choice depending on Apple's decisions. Apple is unable to maintain cross-platform APIs, it criticizes some of them (OpenGL, WebGL) and it pushs its own proprietary craps (Metal, WebMetal).

ThomasR wrote
Would there be equivalent classes implementing com.ardor3d.framework.Canvas like VulkanAWTCanvas, VulkanSwingCanvas, etc? Or would AWT/Swing app be forced to rewrite their UI code. For us, that would might be impossible (prohibitive cost).
Yes, exactly, in ardor3d-vulkan-awt. The developers could go on using Swing, SWT, AWT, OpenJFX/JavaFX, they could use NEWT alone with the new UI API relying on Firefox, NEWT with another GUI API.

ThomasR wrote
Is there an emerging Java+Vulkan community similar to what we have with Jogamp? Probably too early to talk timelines?
Vulkan will be supported by JOGL. I think that I'll really have to give some help to make it happen. Yes, it's too early and it doesn't depend only on me. I still need some time to clean up the mess, move away from Github and implement the missing features in JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation. Don't expect any serious work on JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation 2.0 (I'll pick another name) before 2021.

This engine is mostly a one-man show, updating the Java API documentation was extremely time consuming, I'm not paid to work on it, I have only a very little spare time. I want to release a clean first major version first. In my humble opinion, working on this engine will be easier for me when I'm away from Github and when it's more future proof (i.e fully compatible with Java11).
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ThomasR
Hello

As Microsoft broke the fallback on Github credentials when using HTTPS (only HTTPS over SSH works), I can't push my changes on Github any longer and I won't upload my SSH keys anew. This event just proves that Github isn't a tool that deserves my trust. The changes will be pushed only here from now:
https://jogamp.org/cgit/ardor3d.git/
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hello

ArdorCraft was moved into Ardor3D yesterday. I have to update the documentation, I've been moving away from Github, the removal of this project from Github will happen in a few hours or days.

P.S: Done :)
Reply | Threaded
|

ThomasR
In reply to this post by gouessej
Hi,

It's only a suggestion, but it would be nice to put the build instructions, or maybe your page (I can never remember where it is) somewhere on jogamp ardor3d.git.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

Yes, excellent idea. I'd like to put it into .git/description so that it replaces "Unnamed repository; edit this file 'description' to name the repository".

The user's guide is still mentioned here:
https://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ardor3D_Tutorial

It's not very hard, "mvn install" (it works as expected) or "gradle build" (rarely tested).
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
On 8/19/19 10:59 PM, gouessej [via jogamp] wrote:
> Hello
>
> Yes, excellent idea. I'd like to put it into .git/description so that it
> replaces "Unnamed repository; edit this file 'description' to name the
> repository".
>
> The user's guide is still mentioned here:
> https://jogamp.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ardor3D_Tutorial
>

https://jogamp.org/cgit/ardor3d.git/about/

Reflects the README* file in the projects root folder.
Let me check ..

filter:
case "$(printf '%s' "$1" | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]')" in
    *.markdown|*.mdown|*.md|*.mkd) exec ./md2html; ;;
    *.rst) exec ./rst2html; ;;
    *.[1-9]) exec ./man2html; ;;
    *.htm|*.html) exec cat; ;;
    *.txt|*) exec ./txt2html; ;;

readme=:README.md
readme=:readme.md
readme=:README.mkd
readme=:readme.mkd
readme=:README.rst
readme=:readme.rst
readme=:README.html
readme=:readme.html
readme=:README.htm
readme=:readme.htm
readme=:README.txt
readme=:readme.txt
readme=:README
readme=:readme
readme=:INSTALL.md
readme=:install.md
readme=:INSTALL.mkd
readme=:install.mkd
readme=:INSTALL.rst
readme=:install.rst
readme=:INSTALL.html
readme=:install.html
readme=:INSTALL.htm
readme=:install.htm
readme=:INSTALL.txt
readme=:install.txt
readme=:INSTALL
readme=:install

Maybe a wiki page? I dunno, just brainstorming.
You can also have top-level pages on JogAmp of course,
where you can host your things.

~Sven
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Why doesn't it show this file?
https://jogamp.org/cgit/ardor3d.git/tree/README.md
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
On 8/20/19 11:08 AM, gouessej [via jogamp] wrote:
> Why doesn't it show this file?
> https://jogamp.org/cgit/ardor3d.git/tree/README.md

Looks like our cgit has a setup error or something.
Maybe a filter issue.
Need to earmark this for a later fix.

~Sven
Reply | Threaded
|

ThomasR
Not sure what's wrong:

[INFO] JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation ...................... SUCCESS [  0.424 s]
[INFO] Ardor 3D Savable ................................... FAILURE [  0.309 s]

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.8.1:compile (default-compile) on project ardor3d-savable: Fatal error compiling: invalid flag: --release ->

mvn -version

Apache Maven 3.3.9 (bb52d8502b132ec0a5a3f4c09453c07478323dc5; 2015-11-10T10:41:47-06:00)
Maven home: /Users/rink/apache-maven-3.3.9
Java version: 1.8.0_201, vendor: Oracle Corporation
Java home: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_201.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You need at least Apache Maven 3.6 and Java 11 to build the project from the source:
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/compile-mojo.html#release
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
[gouessej@localhost Ardor3D (master)]$ export JAVA_HOME=/home/gouessej/Documents/installation/openjdk11-jdk/jdk-11.0.1+13/
[gouessej@localhost Ardor3D (master)]$ mvn -version
Apache Maven 3.6.1 (d66c9c0b3152b2e69ee9bac180bb8fcc8e6af555; 2019-04-04T21:00:29+02:00)
Maven home: /home/gouessej/Documents/installation/apache-maven-3.6.1
Java version: 11.0.1, vendor: AdoptOpenJDK, runtime: /home/gouessej/Documents/installation/openjdk11-jdk/jdk-11.0.1+13
Default locale: fr_FR, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux", version: "5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"
Reply | Threaded
|

ThomasR
ok. So this repo now represents v1.0?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Yes but it's not new, Github was only used as a mirror, I used the repository on jogamp.org for years.

I'll have to revert one change because maven-javadoc-plugin seems to fail to retrieve the dependencies when used with Java 11, you'll be able to build with Java 8 anew:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57599378/maven-compile-plugin-finds-the-dependencies-but-maven-javadoc-plugin-doesnt
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
By the way, I'll have to fix numerous errors in the Java API documentation of the newly added project ardor3d-craft.
Reply | Threaded
|

ThomasR
Thanks! Builds fine with Java8. Just trying to stay on top of things!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
On 8/21/19 11:58 PM, gouessej [via jogamp] wrote:
> Yes but it's not new, Github was only used as a mirror, I used the repository
> on jogamp.org for years.
>
> I'll have to revert one change because maven-javadoc-plugin seems to fail to
> retrieve the dependencies when used with Java 11, you'll be able to build with
> Java 8 anew:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57599378/maven-compile-plugin-finds-the-dependencies-but-maven-javadoc-plugin-doesnt
>

Hi Julien, yes .. I am biting through some bugs now for our Java11 build release.
If you know about any issues?

As the build result should be aligned with Java8, there should be no Maven
issues in deploying our stuff?
This for at least the JogAmp use case of only serving other maven projects,
we don't use it for compilation.

~Sven
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
ThomasR wrote
Thanks! Builds fine with Java8. Just trying to stay on top of things!
You're welcome. I have at least 100 warnings to fix to make javadoc work anew. I'll update the binary build soon.

Sven Gothel wrote
Hi Julien, yes .. I am biting through some bugs now for our Java11 build release.
If you know about any issues?

As the build result should be aligned with Java8, there should be no Maven
issues in deploying our stuff?
This for at least the JogAmp use case of only serving other maven projects,
we don't use it for compilation.

~Sven
I don't think that JogAmp is affected by this particular bug as you don't use maven-javadoc-plugin. Which bugs are you talking about?
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hello

I fixed the remaining warnings. I'll be able to upload another binary build next week after testing a bit ardor3d-craft.