classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Android and JOGL...

adanecito
Hi All,

I am wondering if there is a version of Android that is JOGL 2.0 compliant. Also, where can I find a eample program to get started with that works with the Android Java SDK on Eclipse?

I ask because most comments here stopped around 2011.

Thanks,
-Tony
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Android and JOGL...

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Android >= 2.3 is supported by JOGL 2.0. There are several examples in jogl-demos. JOGL offers an homogeneous binding for both OpenGL and OpenGL-ES, there is a single "version" for desktop and embedded environments supporting several operating systems including Android but only NEWT (our windowing toolkit) works in all these environments. You can use a NEWT activity to create your own application.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

adanecito
What if an app libraries only support JOGL 2.0 (GL2) and not OpenGL-ES?

Thanks,
-Tony
Reply | Threaded
|

adanecito
I am using JOGL 2.0 for a Desktop app and want to port over to the Android. I am using NASA's WWJ 2.0 libraries (includes NEWT) and I beliieve they do not support ES only GL2 because of some capability they needed.

Regards,
-Tony
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
You should look at this document about profiles in JOGL 2:
http://jogamp.org/jogl/doc/Overview-OpenGL-Evolution-And-JOGL.html

If WWJ doesn't support Android out of the box, you'll have to create a NEWT Android activity and to modify its source code in order to use GL2ES1 and/or GL2ES2 so that it goes on working in desktop environments and it works in embedded environments.

This isn't specific to JOGL. If a graphics driver supports only OpenGL-ES, you can't use OpenGL but it is possible to use a common subset of OpenGL and OpenGL-ES like GL2ES1 and GL2ES2. It is possible to emulate OpenGL-ES in desktop environments with Mesa and ANGLE.

Edit.: This post is really useful to know how to install JOGL 2 under Eclipse and use it with Android:
http://forum.jogamp.org/Recreating-Jogl2-Android-demo-projects-in-Eclipse-tp4027079p4027138.html
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

adanecito
Thanks that link was really helpful!

Best Regards,

-Tony