Combining primitives in Java3D

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Combining primitives in Java3D

gandalf
Hi, I want to create a visualization tool where I want to use a custom designed 3D model (a combination of cylinder and cone) and use it around. Can anyone please tell me if there is a way through which I can do this.

I found a project, but I don't think it is supported anymore.

I am adding an image of the shape I want to use. . The arrow part here will be a cone while the bent pipe can be made by a combination of cylinders.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Combining primitives in Java3D

hharrison
One option is to group all the individual primitive shapes under one BranchGroup and interact with it that way.

The other, likely better option is to look at the code inside cone and cylinder to see how they marshal a list of triangles, you could then directly fill in a single trianglearray with exactly the geometry you want.

Just some quick thoughts.

Harvey
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by gandalf
Hi

UnBBoolean should work with the latest version of Java3D, I advise you to use it (except if you disagree with its licensing terms) instead of starting from scratch even though Harvey's suggestions are fine (I prefer his second suggestion as it is easier to "port" to another scenegraph API).
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

gandalf
Hi, can you please redirect me to a good tutorial/docs/any existing code. It will really help me a lot in proceeding with unBBoolean.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dusan Neveril
In reply to this post by gandalf
Hi, have you already find any recipe to boolean primitives?

Dusan
Reply | Threaded
|

gandalf

Hi,

Sorry for the late response. Unfortunately I could not find any tutorial or recipe.

I will be very happy if any one could share it or help me getting started with it.

On 19 Jun 2014 14:22, "Dusan Neveril [via jogamp]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, have you already find any recipe to boolean primitives?

Dusan

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.jogamp.org/Combining-primitives-in-Java3D-tp4032390p4032464.html
To unsubscribe from Combining primitives in Java3D, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Hi

Sorry for my unsatisfying answer but JMonkeyEngine 3 has its own port of this library and an other library under MIT license for CSG as far as I know. I will port the latter to JogAmp's Ardor3D Continuation, it's explained here:
https://github.com/gouessej/Ardor3D/issues/3

I have no example with Java3D. Of course, it would be better if someone could give an example using this engine.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website