classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JMonkey is excellent.

Pixelapp
Hi Jogampers:

You might have noticed that my respectful yet loud mouth has been absent from jogamp for a while. Anyways here I am.

I wanted to direct this post message to @gouessej but I figured why not tell to the entire jogamp community.

So here it is, my public service announcement:

If you are planning to contribute to a 3D game engine I suggest you contribute to the Jmonkey enigine. I know there are other options in the open-source market like Ardor3D, but I think the Jmonkey enigine is the better game engine.

Also, I'll be supporting the Jmonkey enigine for my upcoming games. So expect it to get better really fast.

Moreover, it supports JOGL (thanks to @gouessej in some or all respects).

I can't get over the fact that once you start using the Jmonkey engine its becomes FIGURATIVELY magical.

Below is a sample of what I've achieved in a short amount of time with the Jmonkey engine.

Kartex the game.
[This is a promotional image of the game, I'm posting it to make the point and not to promote it  ]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JMonkey is excellent.

gouessej
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi

You're welcome. Kartex looks good :) I still find JMonkeyEngine better documented but a bit less reliable than Ardor3D. Anyway, there are several engines with JOGL backends, feel free to use the one that fits the best to your needs.

Edit.: I don't think that there is a "best" 3D engine in Java, it is a purely subjective notion and there is no real leader in this field. Ardor3d has been created by several guys who had created JMonkeyEngine 1 & 2. Both have their pros and their cons and I have used them both for years.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website