classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JSR 231 is using default MS driver, not card driver

Wade Walker
Administrator
Have you tried the "Hardware Vendor Detection Utility" on the Gateway support page? It might be able to identify your hardware more conclusively. It's kind of important to make sure we know exactly what driver to install -- if that's messed up somehow, it could be causing the problems

Reply | Threaded
|

kitfox
I tried it, but it doesn't show anything useful.

Reply | Threaded
|

kitfox
Also, have you guys had a chance to check out the other thread I posted?  It's on my desktop, and essentially Firefox and other programs are causing JOGL to fail or run very slowly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
Sorry Kitfox, I've got no clue about the other problem. It sounds like you're already doing the right thing on that one -- experimenting with different scenarios until you find the exact thing that's causing it. It's going to be hard for anyone else to debug it remotely, because you've got two interacting programs on a particular video card with particular drivers/OS/etc.

Back on this problem -- have you tried upgrading Java itself? I noticed you're running 1.6.0_11, which is pretty old. No guarantees, but it's best to have everything current before getting too deep into other options  And the video driver issue is worrisome too... if we can't even be sure what model notebook you have, it's hard to be sure your drivers are really up to date.

Reply | Threaded
|

kitfox
Okay.  I contacted Gateway and had them walk me though upgrading to the latest drivers (turns out I have a C 141X).  I also upgraded to JDK 6 u26.  Still no dice.  Open GL is still falling back to GL 1.1.0.  

Any idea what may have changed between JOGL 1.1.1 and JOGL2 to cause this?

Here's a dump of my latest run with the debug flags:

jogl2-2.log
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
We'll need to rely on Sven to interpret your log file now -- I unfortunately don't have the knowledge to interpret the data that he's writing out there.

I know that the sections of JOGL code that query and list the GL caps have been extensively reworked since 1.1.1a, and there have been problems in this section of code before, especially on older OSes and video cards.

Since your video card is now running the ATI 8.363.0.0 drivers from 08/04/2010 that are on the Gateway web site, and the later drivers from ATI won't install on your notebook, I think your system is upgraded as far as it will go. Thanks for going through this process, I know it's been painful.

One last thing I might suggest is to collect all this information you've gathered over the last few days (versions, log files, code, everything) and create a bug report at https://jogamp.org/bugzilla/. That way this bug won't be forgotten if Sven can't get to it before SIGGRAPH.

Reply | Threaded
|

kitfox
I think I may do that.  How actively is JOGL 2 being worked on?  (Ie, if I file a bug report, is it just going to sit there for years?).  (Also, the SIGGRAPH site says it doesn't start for another month.  Is Sven going early?)

Also, while fixing this bug is important to me, fixing the one on the other thread is much more so.  I can't go much further with it either, since it would require me to do some heavy digging through JOGL itself.  I know that you said you don't have the knowledge to dig through it yourself, but would you be able to at least download and run my test program to see if you get similar results?
Reply | Threaded
|

Wade Walker
Administrator
If you check the bug database, you can see that we have been fixing bugs, though we can't guarantee any completion date  I can't speak for Sven, but my understanding was that he was going to be working on Android issues in the time leading up to SIGGRAPH. That's why I was assuming he might not be able to look at your log for a while.

I'd be glad to test out your program to see if I get the same slowdown as you. But first, can you strip it down to the bare essentials? That is, remove everything you can from it, to make it as simple as possible but still show the problem. That way, there's less code for me to sort through when trying to debug it. The ideal test case for a bug is a single page of code, if possible.
Reply | Threaded
|

kitfox
It's as minimal as I can make it as it is.  A lot of the code there is simply used to generate the textures.  There's also a flag to turn on or off the FBO buffering.  (FBO buffering makes things faster, but is itself sometimes the source of a crash).

How is JOGL  used in Android?  I though the Android dev kit had it's own 3D library.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
Android has its own Java binding of OpenGL, it is very low level like JOGL, it is not what I would call a 3D library, it is not a scenegraph. I assume JOGL 2.0 is used on Android like on any J2SE smartphones except for the windowing system.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Gothel
Administrator
In reply to this post by Wade Walker
On Monday, July 04, 2011 05:39:24 AM Wade Walker [via jogamp] wrote:

>
> Hmm, this line in your jogl2.log is certainly suggestive:
>
>
> Info: GLJPanel: Falling back on software rendering because of problems
> creating pbuffer
>
>
> I've also seen something like this
>
>
> Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" javax.media.opengl.GLException:
> wglARBPFID2GLCapabilities: Error getting pixel format attributes for pixel
> format 44 of device context 0x75011313, werr 0

I had another lock at it, and produce the following comment.
Pls lets cont within bugzilla now, thx :)

https://jogamp.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=503#c1

I definetly would need access to this hardware/software configuation via ssh.

~Sven
Reply | Threaded
|

kitfox
I've downloaded and compiled against the latest binaries.  Things are running on my laptop now.  Thanks.