Javaws deployment of Jogl application - problem on Windows

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Javaws deployment of Jogl application - problem on Windows

Peter Rose
We recently upgraded a 3D viewer application to Jogl 2.3.1.

We launch the application from our web site using Java Webstart.

It works fine on OSX and Linux, but on Windows we only see Java splash screen launching and then it quietly quits without any error messages. The Java Console also doesn't even come up.

Here is an example link:
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/explore/viewerLaunch.do?viewerType=SV&structureId=1STP&unit=bio&unit_id=1

Does anyone have ideas how to troubleshoot this issue or know what the issue could be?

It affects thousands of users on our website. Any help would be appreciated.

BIS
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Javaws deployment of Jogl application - problem on Windows

BIS
Is the mime type for .jnlp correctly configured on your server? It's odd that the jnlp file doesn't execute (I'm using IE 11 on Win7 Pro x64.); instead of launching the app, I'm presented with a dialog asking whether I want to save or open the jnlp. With my apps, there is no such dialog - it just launches the app. I've looked over the jnlp and I don't see anything obviously wrong with it. But then, I'm no expert.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
In reply to this post by Peter Rose
Hi

Is it reproducible with any version of Java? Which HTTP server do you use? Apache?
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

jmaasing
In reply to this post by BIS
I got the same dialog BIS talks about for Safari on OSX (which I get for all JNLP-even the jogl demo ones). It sounds more like a browser/mime-type problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

gouessej
Administrator
This post was updated on .
jmaasing wrote
I got the same dialog BIS talks about for Safari on OSX (which I get for all JNLP-even the jogl demo ones). It sounds more like a browser/mime-type problem.
Then put it into your .htaccess file if you use Apache:
AddType application/x-java-jnlp-file .jnlp
or try to set the content type of the JSP page tag to force your JSP to be treated as a JNLP file.

Edit.: You should rather provide a fixed JNLP file instead of a generated JNLP file. I did the same several years ago in PHP and it leads to some troubles when the end users modify the user agent.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
Reply | Threaded
|

jmaasing
gouessej wrote
jmaasing wrote
Then put it into your .htaccess file if you use Apache:
No I meant when trying out OPs link - so it's a bit misleading to say that it works on linux/OSX - I think it's a browser/mime-type issue rather than an OS issue.
It doesn't work in my case because I probably don't have the java-plugin installed in my safari browser since I no longer have Apple-java 6 on my OSX.